• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

feedback on my hopburtsted india red ale

Brewmex41

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Looking for some thoughts on my next brew, mostly trying to decide if I should add a 60 min addition

7lb 2 row
5.5 lb red x
.5 lb crystal 60*
2oz midnight wheat
6oz corn sugar (5 min boil)
Mash 152* 60 min

1 oz chinook (13%AA) 20 MIN
1 Oz simcoe 14.4% 15 min
1oz nelson Sauvin 11.4% 10min
1oz amarillo 8.9% 5 min
Then 1oz each flameout steep and 1oz ea dry hop

Est stats
1.063 OG
64 Ibu
16.2 Srm
6.2 abv.
Rogue pacman yeast

I'm thinking about adding a small amount of magnum at 60 for a small bump in Ibu
1/4 oz would add about 9 and 1/2 oz would add about 18ibu

Any thoughts?

Have you used the Red X malt before? isn't it supposed to give a pretty good red color all by itself?

I ask because you've got a lot of stuff going on in that grain bill for a hop forward beer.

The crystal 60 and midnight wheat are what one might use to make a red ale without the red x malt.

Just a thought.

I would add a small 60 minute and/or a first wort hop. I really like FWH for the flavor contribution but I find a more substantial bitterness with a 60 minute.

The grain bill was based on a red x only Ira I had. I felt it needed a little crystal for a hint of malty flavor.
If you look at it, the recipe is nothing more than base malt, half lb crystal malt and 2 oz of midnight wheat that I'll probably just cold steep my in my apathetic water rather than add to the mash tun. Mash little higher but add corn sugar and pacman will help give a little body but keep it fairly dry.

Brewmex41 said:
The grain bill was based on a red x only Ira I had. I felt it needed a little crystal for a hint of malty flavor.
If you look at it, the recipe is nothing more than base malt, half lb crystal malt and 2 oz of midnight wheat that I'll probably just cold steep my in my apathetic water rather than add to the mash tun. Mash little higher but add corn sugar and pacman will help give a little body but keep it fairly dry.

cool. I just like to see if people have a reason. And rereading the thread title I realize you are trying to do a hopburst so disregard my hopping suggestions as well. if you're going to hop burst than go for it!

I know this is a silly question, but what makes this beer an "India" anything?  Isn't this just a red ale?  American?  I can't see any British ingredients.

It's an American India Pale Ale but its red in color so swap the word Red for Pale.

Brewmex: when this batch is done, could you post a picture of the beer color? I'm working on a Hawaiian Fruit Punch pale ale and this is about the only time I care about the beer color :) Just want to see how red it is--I've read similar reports of Red X not giving quite enough "red" and requiring a bit more help from other specialties to push toward that color.

I did a red x semi smash brew.  Used magnum to bitter and simcoe for late additions. I just updated the thread. Its in the all grain/advanced section.

Hydro sample
this was 7.5lb 2 row, 5.5lb red x and 2oz midnight wheat

Attachments

• Hydro ira.jpg
    Hydro ira.jpg
    662.3 KB · Views: 490
cmbrougham said:
I've read similar reports of Red X not giving quite enough "red" and requiring a bit more help from other specialties to push toward that color.

This is just informational and not to take away from what Brewmex41 is doing. I'm learning from his experiments, too.

Red-X is about 12 Lov. Compare that to Victory at 30 and I can see where the color would fall short. Grains gain color in shades of red, so it makes sense that just a little bit of dark roast malt would give the biggest impact.  This image is my Red Ale that uses 5% 120 lov crystal and 0.75% Carafe III.

Cm- I just updated my red x post. Its in the recipe section, but I can attach the picture here. This isn't the India red ale, just the red x batch I did.

Attachments

• IMAG0144.jpg
    IMAG0144.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 485
Update on this one:
OG was 1.066
Fg is 1.010
Brewers friend puts that at 7.35% abv and 84% apparent attenuation
Just added 1oz ea of whole leaf simcoe and amarillo and 1oz ea pellet chinook and nelson Sauvin.

Hydro sample has me all tingly inside. I can't wait for this one to hurry up and finish. Perfectly dry with malt backbone, excellent hop flavor and bitterness.

Attachments

• IMAG0154.jpg
    IMAG0154.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 516
Brewmex41 said:
Hydro sample has me all tingly inside. I can't wait for this one to hurry up and finish. Perfectly dry with malt backbone, excellent hop flavor and bitterness.

Cool! Looks really red to me.
Exciting to see how the hop additions develop and will present themself after a couple of weeks :p
R, Slurk

I'm super excited for this one. I think pacman will be my go-to ipa yeast.
What a beast!
A week of dry hopping and a week in the fridge then I'll keg it up.

I'll have tasting notes in about 2 weeks.

Back