• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

summer shandy

rspallina

Apprentice
Reaction score
I know it's a bit early, but winter has been brutal. I am looking for a good summer shandy recipe. I want to brew it and serve it, nothing added after it's already kegged. It seems like there aren't many reliable recipes out there for it. Maybe it isn't popular? Anyways, my friends would like to brew this, this summer. Any in put would be great! I am an all grain brewer, so I would prefer all grain but I will also consider extract.
cheers!!!!

It depends on your definition of shandy!  ;)

I had a prototype commercial version made with ginger, lemongrass, and Brewer's Gold hops. The ginger did most of the flavoring, but a strong pilsner base beer rounded it out. It was something like 1.045 OG, 14 IBU. Clear, light golden color.

Light lemony and floral aroma, spicy, refreshing pilsneresque flavor with a dry, low grassy and moderately gingerbeer-like finish. Medium high carbonation, but not bursting or gassy.

Apple blended versions don't work for me unless their oaked. The oak tannin keeps them from being insipid. Malic acid may work for structure, too. I don't know, though.

All lemon versions remind me too much of a Radler that's missing the German Hefe spice.

Are you bottling or kegging?  I remember being advised that adding actual lemon juice should only really be done if just prior to kegging because the CO2 purge is the only way to keep funky things from happening over time for a "no mix" shandy. 

Sorry I can't give a better technical explanation as to why.  ???

I've brewed a couple batches of beer with black tea incorporated, then added lemon juice in the glass for an Arnold Palmer type experience.  That has turned out well.  If you're interested I'm happy to post up that recipe.

Back