• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Settings for 15 gallon batch in 15.5 gal boiler

VonMessa

Apprentice
Reaction score
In the basement, brewing more beer of course.
Hello all.

I typically brew 15 gallons on any given brew day. 

I have a (2) 15.5 gal. kegs, (1) each for HLT and boil kettle.

My MLT is a 30 gallon Igloo cooler (rectangular)

My question is as follows:  How do I tweak the system to account for the fact that I cannot boil more than 14 gallons without making a royal mess?

What I have been doing for the past year or so is making a mash that is a bit on the strong side to get 14 gallons in the boiler,  performing the boil which winds-up at ~ 13 gallons post boil and  topping-off the keg to max (15.5 gal) with boiled water before running it through the chiller (plate chiller)  I am running a HERMS system in the HLT, if that info helps.

This is caveman-style, at best.  As I get more involved in brewing, I would like to tweak my system to get better efficiency, hit my marks, etc so I can get closer to the beer styles that I am trying to brew to include all losses, dead-space, etc.

I can answer any questions about the system that will help.  If I omitted anything important, it is only to avoid typing a wall of text and giving more info than needed.

Thanks, guys!

Your equipment profile needs to reflect the top up water in the field of that name, right under Loss to Trub and Chiller.

For boilovers, investigate using some foam control. Just 3 or 4 drops should be enough.  You may need a bit more in highly hopped beers.

brewfun said:
Your equipment profile needs to reflect the top up water in the field of that name, right under Loss to Trub and Chiller.

For boilovers, investigate using some foam control. Just 3 or 4 drops should be enough.  You may need a bit more in highly hopped beers.

Thanks.

The boilover comment was more tongue-in-cheek.  14 gallons is about 2" from the top of the kettle so, if I am vigilant when the boil starts, I usually don't have any issues.

Back