• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Morebeer Sculpture Profile

sleastaq

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'd love to see an equipment profile for a B3 1550 or really all brew sculptures. Is this far off?  Does anyone have a makeshift version right now??

Here is the one I use right now but I'm still trying to dial it in.

Attachments

• morebeer-1550.bsmx
    1.2 KB · Views: 478
Thanks DP.  If you're still brewing on this system, how is this profile working out?  My boil off rate has been much higher, but maybe I am boiling too vigorously.

I've been trying to lock mine in as well.
Looking at the profile, 14.44 gal boil in a 15 gal pot is a lot of work to keep it from jumping out of the pot. A 2.5 gal loss to to trub and chiller is also high. I will also accept a little more trub as I can dump some from the bottom of my conical.

Question: Do you need the weight and specific heat of the mash tun for thermal calculations if it is direct fired?

Those of us with large false bottoms also have a problem with the lauter tun deadspace. We need the volume for accurate mash strike temps, but we get most of it back. I just use the infusion tool to get accurate numbers and ignore what the mash profile tells me.

My boil rate will change as the volume reduces. It gets very vigorous as volume reduces. As I get close to where I want to add finishing hops, I cut the boil, measure volume, account for thermal expansion, and guess when to cut flame. Getting that number right seems to help nail my starting gravity.

Attachments

• 1550.bsmx
    1.2 KB · Views: 333
vintage63 said:
My boil off rate has been much higher, but maybe I am boiling too vigorously.

I too have been backing off on the boil vigorousness. My evaporation was higher than 10% an hour so I have slowed the boil. Beers have been great and I've saved on gas.

ghwren said:
14.44 gal boil in a 15 gal pot is a lot of work to keep it from jumping out of the pot.

True but it can be done and it helps me determine the batch size I can brew without having to do separate mashes.

ghwren said:
A 2.5 gal loss to to trub and chiller is also high.

I use this number to also account for the volume left under the kettle false bottom as well as wort left in the tubes, chiller and pump on the way to the fermenter. I've been pretty close on volumes into the fermentor using this number.

ghwren said:
Those of us with large false bottoms also have a problem with the lauter tun deadspace.

I have found that by using this number I can still have an accurate grain/water ration above the false bottom. I do end up with a fair amount of liquid in the bottom of the tun when I'm finished sparging. Maybe there is a better way to account for this.

David

Back