• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Coconut in secondary...

TheDuster

Apprentice
Reaction score
So, I'm looking to make an American coconut porter and have seen differing opinions as to when to add the coconut.  Based on the recipes I've read, most go with a pound of coconut baked in the oven until golden brown and add directly to the secondary.  When doing this, do you drop directly into the carboy or put it in a muslin bag type setup?  On the other hand, there are those that seem to add during primary...  Based on your experiences, what do you suggest?  Basically, I'm just looking to see what has worked best for any of you that are fans of the coconut porter.  Thank you!

*Late Add:  I know that the vast majority of people here don't rack to secondary.  If I keep it in primary is it ok to add the coconut after a week and let it do its thing for the remainder of the fermentation cycle?  As always, I apologize for my potentially stupid questions and I appreciate any insight to be offered.

I would just leave it in the oven and let it burn to a crisp. This is sort of like asking how to add coconut to a pulled pork sandwich. It just don't belong. Get the beer thing down first. Then decide if it actually belongs in a beer. This is bastardisation of beer. Reinheitsgebot!

TheDuster said:
If I keep it in primary is it ok to add the coconut after a week and let it do its thing for the remainder of the fermentation cycle?

Adding coconut just 5 days before bottling/kegging is going to give the most impact. Using a hop sack will make racking a lot easier.

Back