• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Low batch system and brewsmith

ElegantMagic

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello,

i am about to start my first all grain brew using a system similar to the Brooklyn Beer kit (details below) and when entering a recipe into beersmith the bitterness bar from the beer style comparision went off the chart when adding my hop components. Before I start to make this brew I thought I'd check here where I'm sure there will be someone to either say that I've got my settings wrong or that my settings are correct and I've gone a bit mad on the hops.
I shall list below the details I think would help:

Equipment for brewing

US Gallon demijohn as brewing container
stock pot for mash and boil
large kitchen seive for holding grains during sparge
honey infused liquid for adding just before bottling

My recipe in Beer Smith

Water -  5 Litres
Maris Otter - 0.8kg
vienna malt - 0.2kg
Amarillo leaf hop 30 min boil - 15g
Amarillo leaf hop 15 min steep - 10g
Yeast - safale american

This, according to my settings sends the bitterness up to 67.0 IBU's at the top end of the bitterness range of an American IPA. I originally had the boil of the initial hops at 60 mins bit sent bitterness off the scale.

equipment setting in Beer Smith

Now here I am not sure what to put so I will include elements of a brooklyn beer kit recipe to give you and idea of ingredient amounts:

For the mash - Heat 2 quarts (1.9 liters) of water to 160°F (71°C)
For the Sparge - Heat additional 4 quarts (3.8 liters) of water to 170°F (77°C)
You want to collect 5 quarts (4.75 liters) of wort in total leaving one gallon after the boil

I hope this is enough information and that someone is able to help. Many thanks in advance from someone dipping their toe in the all grain world for the first time.

Back