• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

IBU value far too high

mala

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to Beersmith and have entered my two first recipes and the have one error in common; the IBU value is far too high. The  value for my IPA for example is 4-5 time as high as expected. I have checked the hop amount but the %/IBU column shows 200.8 IBUs. What have I done wrong here?

how much hops are you adding? how many minutes are you boiling for? what is the alpha acid % for the hops? what is your utilization factor? (should be 100% for home sized batches)

these are the settings that will control how many IBU you get from any particular addition.

add to that the method of calculation (I think there are two major ones Tinseth and Rager) which will change the number.

I don't have beersmith on this computer so I can't direct you to particular areas but the boil minutes, acid %, and amount are right in the entry on the recipe. the utilization factor is in settings I beleive, or the equipment profile.

Thanks...it's a small batch at 4 litres and the amount is 30gr of Simcoe hops with 13% alpha acid, boiling for 30 mins. Hop utilization I've set to 100% and brewhouse efficiency I set to 65% (I was told my equipment would be this).

mala said:
Thanks...it's a small batch at 4 litres and the amount is 30gr of Simcoe hops with 13% alpha acid, boiling for 30 mins. Hop utilization I've set to 100% and brewhouse efficiency I set to 65% (I was told my equipment would be this).

well, 30 grams of simcoe in 4 litres of beer would likely produce that IBU. I use 60 grams of simcoe and 60 grams of cascade for bittering in 40 liters to get me ~60-70 IBU

try 10 grams or less.

Back