• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

False bottom vs Manifold

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Which do you think provides better efficiency?

I use a Phils false bottom with a Igloo/Gott type water cooler, but I've seen some amazing claims with manifolds and larger rectangular picnic coolers.

For a given cooler style which do you think is better?

Cheers!
Brad

Hi Brad,
I use a rectangular cooler (esky) I started off with a copper pipe manifold and was getting around 70% eff. A friend gave me some S/S mesh so I made a false bottom and am now getting 80% eff. I have found that I get a smoother run off with the false bottom and no stuck mashes even with a wit beer (your recipe) using 50% wheat. By the way that was the first wit I have made and the aroma from the orange peel and corriander was magic, it's fermenting now.
Regards
Andrew

Andrew,
 You will love the wit!  I tapped a fresh keg for a party tonight and everyone went crazy for it.  It is simply a great light beer with a unique twist.

Appreciate the feedback on the false bottom vs manifold.  It seems to me that the false bottom would perform better (at least theoretically) because of the larger surface area and minimal distance the wort needs to drain, but I know some people have done very well with manifolds as well.

Cheers!
Brad

Back