• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Is this a correct plan, first time batch?

behedwin

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello
I am just about to start brewing my own beer, i have ordered all the equipment and material i need for my first batch. I will work in 10 Liter bottles for all steps of the process and expect to end up with about 7-8 liters in the fermenter.

I am using malt extract and some whole malt, that ill crush at home.
This is the receipt im using

Code:
For 25 liter beer:
Malt extract: 
4 KG light dry malt extract.
Special malt:
0.25kg crystal malt
bitter hop:
70g Perle cones
hop aroma: 
40g Perle cones
yeast:
Safale S-04

Since i only have room for 10L i have downgraded above receipt with 60% to fit in to my bottles. This is the downgraded result.

Code:
Malt extract: 1600g – light dry malt extract(Muntons)
Special malt: 100g - crystal malt (karamellmalt)
bitter hop: 28g - perle cones
hop aroma: : 16g perle cones
Yeast: 7,5g Safale S-04

Now i am not sure how to do the first steps and how much water i should use to get everything correct. Sorry for a rough translation, not sure i am using the correct terms.

1. All ingredient in separate bowls after weighing them.
2. Wash and clean all equipment
3. Crush 100g crystal malt, check weight after.
4. 100g crushed crystal malt mixed with 250 milliliters of water (25cl) at a temperature of 75 degrees (Celsius)
a. This is done in a smaller pot, first malt, then water and mix untill all is wet.
b. Keep warm, temperature of 64-69 degrees (Celsius) for 60-90 minutes.
c. Add water if needed to keep warm or if to much is vaporizing.
d. Now filter it and add 75 degree water so you get 250 milliliter liquid after filtering.
5. Heat up 9.7 liter water to 75 degree (Celsius).
6. Put 1.6 KG Muntons malt extract in a 10L pot.
7. Add 9.7 liter 75 degree water to the malt extract. Mix well.
8. Add the liquid from the crystal malt that previously was filtered (4).
9. Mix well so no lumps can be found.
10. Boil for 60 minutes, mix often.
a. Add 28g perle cones direct when it starts to boil.
b. After 55 minutes of boiling, add 16g perle cones.
11. Filter liquid after boiling for 60min in a filter blanket into a yeast bucket.
a. Important to bee clean and keep all kinds of dirt out.
12. Start yest process.

I would be very happy to either be confirmed that i am doing things correctly above. Or correct my steps and help me get a proper plan of how to do my first batch.

What i am not sure about is the whole malt (crystal malt) that need to be prepared beside the malt extract before they can be mixed.

Thanks in advance.

I noticed you emphasize cleaning everything, but you didn't mention sanitizing. It's important to sanitize everything that contacts your beer after you boil it. Most home brewers use StarSan. It works well, doesn't require rinsing, and is reasonably inexpensive. A few still use chlorine bleach.

If you haven't laready read it, I strongly recommend reading "How to Brew" by John Palmer. An old (and slightly out-of-date) version is available free on-line at      howtobrew.com

you don't mention chilling. you should chill the wort down after the boil to around 18 degrees C before adding yeast. this will give the best results. and if you can keep the beer below 20C for at least the first 3 or 4 days.

You can sanitize with boiling water as well and, it is much cheaper than StarSan. Just don't pour boiling water into a glass carboy. It will break. I've used this method for 23 years without fail.

Back