• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Scaling down question regarding grain amounts

slusk

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have just started using beersmith and so far I think I've got the hang of it. I scale all my recipes down to 2.5 gallon half batches. When I scale I pay attention to the starting batch size and efficiency and mine. I usually match the 72% efficiency but I'm finding interesting results. Although the scaled recipe is very close, it seems the grain percentages change a bit. I was expecting the scaling to match the grain percentages exactly. All the amounts are roughly half for instance when I scale from a 5gallon batch but say for the 5 gallon batch I'm finding my base grain percentage goes down slightly and is slightly less than half and the specialty grain percentage is slightly higher than half. Is this because the software is trying to maintain color, ABV and bitterness? Just curious.

Thanks for any help

Answering my own post... LOL now this is funny. I just figured out that If I unclick the box when scaling for matching OG, color and bitterness that it matches al percentages. If I leave it checked, when I scale a recipe down it lowers the base grain a couple percent and raises the specialty grains a couple percent. Now I have a NEW question. Is this enough of a change to tell a difference in flavor? Which is a better approach or does it matter?

Thanks again for any help

Stevo

Good job finding the answer to your own question!

slusk said:
Is this enough of a change to tell a difference in flavor? Which is a better approach or does it matter?

Neither approach is always "better." That's why there's a choice.

Flavor depends on the ingredients and percentages they change. BeerSmith is matching stats, not making flavor decisions. That part is still up to you, as the brewer.

My own experience is that any flavor change is insignificant.

Back