• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

using yeast calculator in Beersmith

steve2u42

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have a recipe in beersmith and i would like to see if i am using it right when i am figuring out yeast calculations. I am comparing the calculations between beersmith and Yeast Calculator. Let me know at any point when i am wrong.
I am using California Ale yeast Beersmith tells me i need 253.4 billion cells for this recipe my estimated OG is 1.067. California ale says it has 96.00 billion cells in 1oz. I have the stir plate checked. It tells me i need 1.08L of starter and 1 package of yeast. As far as i know. that should be all i need and just do it.
Yeast Calculator tells me using all the same numbers i have in beersmith, That the same amount of wort will only give me 225 billion cells. Yeast calculator tell me i need 1.45L of starter to get 253.4 billion cells. Why are they not closer to being the same?
I am just concerned because when i make a bigger higher OG beer the difference will even be more if i was using the same yeast.
Just triple checking, Mr. Malty tells me i need 1.31L of starter to get the same number of cell count.

steve2u42 said:
I am comparing the calculations between beersmith and Yeast Calculator. Let me know at any point when i am wrong.

None of the yeast calculators are too far apart. A proper answer will require me to look more deeply at settings available on all three calculators and do the math. I will, but I suspect the difference is created by assumptions about viability, oxygen saturation, time and whether or not a stir plate is used.  Of the sources you cite, Mr. Malty is derived from repeated analysis with White Labs and actual cell counts.

"Someone from BeerSmith," would be Brad Smith. The rest of us are just BeerSmith users.

Back