• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Ability to edit inventory items

drb1215

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi - I don't know if you can already do this, but it would be nice to be able to edit the properties of inventory items.  I'm not talking about qty and price, but things like the Alpha % of the hops I have in inventory or the package date of yeast.

I may have at anytime multiple packs of cascade hops...and each one has a different alpha %.  It would be nice to be able to view my inventory and see that.

-Dan

+1 for this detail in the stock list.

It's also a good idea to have this be relevant for sorting and inventory management when removing items from inventory.  I don't think BeerSmith sees this information.

Currently, BeerSmith can get lost if items are given identical names and the differentiating information is in another field, such as Origin, Supplier, AA%. The workaround has to be additional information in the item name, which is cumbersome on a recipe report.

Yeast dates are not a part of the inventory list or available information in the pop up dialog.

What you could do is make a copy of the item but change the name to include the actual Alpha % in the name.

Making a copy of the item and changing the value (and name to indicate the change) works, but it clutters the ingredients list.  Think of it programming terms where the ingredient is a class, and the item in your inventory is an instance.  Or, how you store your recipes in one folder, but come brew day you move a copy to the log folder so that you have a particular instance of that recipe that you can add brew day data to.

+1

It's annoying having to edit these properties every time an item is used.  Other software allows this FYI.

+1 for this suggestion!

It would be useful to be able to add the instance specific data when adding items to the inventory.
So, for hops for instance, there could be two more fields in the "add" dialogue: Alpha and Harvest Year, please see mockup:

(These extra fields should be pre-populated with the default alpha from the database, plus the current year)

And in the inventory itself, you should then be able to expand individual items to review their instances, as in this mockup:

I haven't taken the time to create a mockup for recipe formulation, but similarly you should be allowed to expand items and choose an instance of your hop (or grain, or...)

... I have just realised that the inventory mockup should have included an "added date" coloumn for the instances.
That way you would be able to keep an eye on the age of your items.

Morten

Back