• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith 2 Equipment Set-up (Beer-In-A-Bag)

SanMikeva

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey! I am a fairly new brewer and I just recently started using Beersmith to work on my beer recipes. I had a few questions though.

When I was trying to set-up my mashing specifications, one of the available options was BIAB (Medium Body), which was my brewing method and the desired body of the beer. However, one of the stipulations of this mash profile is that you are doing a full volume mash, which I am not.

To be specific, when I mash I use a large cheesecloth essentially as a bag in which to hold the grains. My grain/water ratio is usually between 1.5 - 2.0 quarts of water / pound of grain, and I top up the finished mash to the desired pre-boil volume once the mashing process is complete. I do not sparge.

Is there a way to set this sort of method up in Beersmith so that I get proper readouts for all of the beer variables (Gravity, for example)?

I think that changing the Top-up water volume in your equipment profile will do the trick.

Back