• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hop Utilization: Tinseth versus Daniels

Tom Ayres

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am a longtime ProMash user who has just brewed a few batches with BeerSmith 2. Using almost exactly the same brewing methods and hops as in previous ProMash recipes, I've found that the beers I am making with the Tinseth default in BeerSmith are coming out much more hoppy than their ProMash predecessors, which utilized the Generic (Daniels) calculation method in ProMash. Of course, moving forward I can always adjust the IBUs down, but I would prefer to use the Daniels calculation that always proved to work so well for me. Does anyone have any idea as to whether the Daniels formula might be introduced as an option in BeerSmith. Or, failing that, if Tinseth, Rager, or Garetz comes closest to Daniels, all other factors being equal?

Are you saying the recipe/formula is coming out hoppy, or the actual beer after brewing it?  If you have known recipes with known outcomes from ProMash, I would think you could enter them verbatim in BS, and then select the IBU model/method in BS that is closest to the ProMash result. 

Are you certain the equipment profile details are identical?

Back