• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

brew bag and thermometer probe

dlb

Apprentice
Reaction score
hello ,  dave here with a biab question.  I have been enjoying the biab method.  my old kettle that i'm about to replace has no thermometer or valve.  i'm now in the market for a new brew kettle.  I would I think be purchasing one with a valve and thermometer.  my question is :  how do you keep the thermometer probe from puncturing the bag ?.  do you have to shield it  somehow ?. it looks like most of the popular kettles with thermometers have a probe that protrudes inward substantially .  thanks in advance for your opinion ...
dave .

Not that I've tried, but I wouldn't trust a kettle-mounted probe thermometer to be even remotely useful with BIAB. I've switched over to digital thermocouple type thermometers, and couldn't be happier.

I personally use the ThermoWorks Therma K with the Model 113-372 PTFE/FEP Tip Probe. It's very accurate, fast-reading, waterproof, won't puncture anything, and can work from a distance (well, about three feet). I use it for both BIAB and regular MLT mashes, during the boil, and during cooling. It's not the cheapest option, but I got sick and tired of thermometer compromises--my brews have benefited as a result.

Dave,
I've been doing BIAB for about a year and have the weldless thermometer you were talking about.  I have torn a bag of two when i first started getting it out of the kettle but quickly learned that if I put my mash paddle against the bag (probe side) you can apply some pressure there while lifting it out. 

With regard to mash temps check it with a back-up thermometer periodically but have never had an issue with the probe.  I will tell you that as you stir the mash every so often you'll find that the grain you're bring up from the bottom is a few degree warmer and you see the thermometer reflect that.  You have to remember that the mash temp is only indicative of the material directly around your probe.

cmbrougham said:
Not that I've tried, but I wouldn't trust a kettle-mounted probe thermometer to be even remotely useful with BIAB. I've switched over to digital thermocouple type thermometers, and couldn't be happier.

I personally use the ThermoWorks Therma K with the Model 113-372 PTFE/FEP Tip Probe. It's very accurate, fast-reading, waterproof, won't puncture anything, and can work from a distance (well, about three feet). I use it for both BIAB and regular MLT mashes, during the boil, and during cooling. It's not the cheapest option, but I got sick and tired of thermometer compromises--my brews have benefited as a result.

Thanks cmbrougham for the information. I will check in to this.
I bought a cheap digital thermometer on a probe cord from a kitchen store to use in my MT and made the mistake of not calibrating it first. Ruined a batch as a result. It's consistently off by 7 degrees throughout the temp range.
Thought I was mashing at 152 and it was actually 145.  :mad:

Back