• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

co2 at priming

T

twilliams1223

So, I've never tried to measure my CO2 volumes after bottling or kegging; it all comes out alright, but getting into the nitty-gritty - especially with some 3.2 vol beers coming up (!!) I want to hit this as close as possible.
I use Beer Smith, temp of beer eqates to volumes of CO2 remaining, and therefor adjusts priming solution needed.
But shouldn't your temp be the highest temp at the last part of fermentation? I mean, say I ferment at 68°, and at racking to secondary I have about .75 vols in solution, right?
Now I rack to secondary, and it might produce a small amount more CO2, but then I chill it to 50° to condition before bottling. Now I still have that same .75 vols, but if I tell Beer Smith the beer is at 50° it will think I have about 1.1 vols, and so I'll come up about a third of a volume short.
Do I have this right?

Tom

Back