• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Rusty carboy brush...

TheDuster

Apprentice
Reaction score
So, this is a potentially stupid question, but I can't seem to figure it out.  Both of my carboy cleaning brushes have rusted along the entire length of the handle despite careful drying and proper storage.  Is this one of those things you just have to except will have to be replaced every couple of batches?  Will a little rust hurt anything if you utilize the brush only for cleaning and rinse the carboy thoroughly before sanitizing?  The're relatively cheap so I have no problem buying one every couple of months, but I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem... 

as long as the rust dose not get into the beer I would think you will be fine.

Are you using bleach as disinfectant? It's pretty corrosive, maybe you're using too much and it's destroying your brushes.

I typically just wash them with clean water and soap in the sink before hand drying them as well as possible.  No bleach...  That said, I've yet to notice any adverse impact on the finished product, so this is more just out of curiosity.  Thank you both for the replies.

This happened to me when I left the brush soaking in the sanitizer (B-Brite) for a period of time.  Up until then I had never soaked it, just used it quickly, rinsed, and hung it up to dry.  I'm still using it with no problems.

Back