• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Help Brewing with Coconut

rpaesjr

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Curious how anyone might have used coconut (raw coconut not extract) before (full boil, later boil, secondary etc).  I messed around with throwing it into a citrusy IPA during the late boil.  I was concerned about the oils and head retention so I chose to boil for a bit instead of secondary.  Not sure I got any of the flavor profile... nor did I want much.  Basically I think I just wasted a bit of coconut... any stories out there?

I've used unsweetened dry coconut in my secondary, but not much flavor came out.  Never thought to boil.  Maybe more flavor?  Anyway, seemed like a waste of coconut.

I brewed a brown ale with coconut and Sumatran coffee.  The coconut was toasted (to dry out some of the oils) and then added to the boil during last 15 minutes.  Coffee was cold pressed and added at bottling.  One thing I did learn was coconut really depends on a person's palette.  Some people can only taste the coconut, others say they don't taste it at all.

BTW, this was a winning beer in a local contest.  It is now served at Iron Hill Brewery in Maple Shade, NJ.

http://www.ironhillbrewery.com/beer-list.htm
Buccaneers Bounty
OG: 1.062  Color: 23  IBU: 33  ABV: 6.0%
The 2013 Iron Brewer Winner. This rich caramelly American Brown Ale is accented with toasted coconuts and finished with Sumatran coffee.

I recently made a coconut milk stout and used 1 lb of unsweetened and 1 pound of sweetened. Roasted them together until they were light golden brown. Put them in a mason jar with about a 1/2 cup of vodka for about 3 days and then to a hop bag and into the secondary. The initial tastings were over the top with coconut but after a month or so of conditioning the coconut flavor was minimal.

Back