• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Is there an easy way to get grain details?

P

Peanutt

I want to input a few new recipes in to the program and I do not know any of the specifics of the grain. I've done some quick searching on the net and did not find any real details.

What is the recommended way adding new grains/extracts and stuff accurately? I really like the program, by the way, and this is probably the only thing holding me back from buying it. I quickly looked on Beer Tools Pro's web site and their ingredient list is not that much better.

Thanks for your time.

go to beersmith.com , scroll down the page till you find "already using beersmith"  and then click on the download extensions link. There you will find contributions from others that cover many grains. Pick the ones you want and copy and paste them to your grains list.

jim81147 said:
go to beersmith.com , scroll down the page till you find "already using beersmith"  and then click on the download extensions link. There you will find contributions from others that cover many grains. Pick the ones you want and copy and paste them to your grains list.
Thanks! You know I saw that page and I guess the obvious was not obvious enough! :p

And I was going to describe how to correctly enter the data once you have it from the maltster.

Fred

Maltster?
How do you correctly enter the data? Is there an easy way/place to find out the specific number for a given grain?

The Maltster or malting house is the source for the malted grain that we use, They provide a data sheet, or a typical datasheet for their malt.  Each batch of malt a major brewery gets is accompanied by this data sheet so they can modifiy their recipes as appropiate.  Using typical values works great for the home brewer.

Briess has their data sheets on line.  http://www.briess.com/brew/products.shtml

The values from these sheets are directly entered into the BeerSmith Grain database.  The Yield in BeerSmith is the Extract FG/Dry basis.  The rest should be pretty obvious.

Fred

Oh, OK.
Clear as mud ;)
Now say I have a Simpsons malt and would like to put it in Beersmith. If I go to the simpsons web site: http://www.simpsonsmalt.co.uk/ and try to find the details on their Crystal Malt they do not seem to be as open as Briess company. What would I do now?

I'm sure that once I know where to get the information on different malts this all becomes a non-issue.
What I'm trying to find is information on Alexander's Munich Malt Extract/Syrup. I've found the website: http://californiaconcentrate.com/maltspecifications.htm which shows all but the Munich.

What do you do if you can not find the information on a given product? Guess and find something you 'think' would be close?

Thanks for your time!

Without specific data I would use an average of similar malts and the bit of specific data that they do provide.

You can try to contact them directly and see if they will provide you with a "typical" analysis.  You can contact a brewer that uses simpsons and see if he/shee has a data sheet.

Sorry, i didn't find simpsons before and on a brief search I didn't find it today.

Fred

Back