• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Call me crazy- Jack Daniels Whiskey Barrel chips for simulated barrel aging

twhitaker

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Yep. I did it, call me crazy. The JD chips contain some alcohol already, as one whiff of the bag will tell you; and although they are great for smoking meats on the smoker, they really are the most accurate way to simulate actual barrel aging in my humble opinion. They contain only used JD barrels.

Added to half batch of Toms Baltic Porter (my own recipe on the cloud) along with a pound of homemade Belgian candi sugar dark, 1 tbsp. pure dutch cocoa, 1 tbsp. great Canadian ground coffee, a few northern brewer boil pellets for dry hop ( last 3 in cheesecloth sacs).
Used 4 oz of JD chips, which really are large chunks,  for 7 days only in the half carboy, then transferred to the 11 ltr carboy for further aging.
Very easy to syphon off the chips and sacs for a nice clear beer.

Flavour is amazing, you would swear it came from a whiskey barrel after a lengthy stay. Candi sugar boosts abv to almost 8., and adds caramel-toffee like flavour and aroma. This porter already had natural roasted cocoa- coffee like flavours, and was very easy drinking and smooth...

Back