• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Priming Sugar Calculation Basis

Im4JBrewing

New Forum Member
Reaction score
So, I did search the forums for this, but all I found was a post from 2011 where it was indicated it would be a consideration?  I would think this feature exists, but maybe I'm just doing something wrong.  When brewing a "batch size" of 2.5G, there are many factors that go into the calculation.  The problem I have is that I may have been off in my TRUB/losses and my "Measured Batch Size" may be less.  The estimates continue to be off.  For example in the Bottling/Kegging section, my Measured Bottling Volume may be less than estimated.  When I type in the actual Measured Bottling Vol, I would assume the amount of Priming Sugar used would have adjusted automatically, but it doesn't.  How do I adjust my sugar qty at bottling based on the actual amount of beer I will bottle?

Thanks.  Yes, that of course will work.  I was thinking along the lines that in the Fermentation tab for my recipe, the amount of priming sugar would be calculated based on my bottling volume.  It's not a big deal, or course, to use the built in "tools", but if I were to use the amount of sugar called for in the "design" of my recipe, it would be grossly overcarbinated due to my measured bottling volume being less than the estimated.

Yes. It's a grey area and not exactly a flaw. For shopping, you'd want BS to tell you what you need based on your intentions.

Once the recipe is produced, you should be adjusting your losses and profiles in BeerSmith to reflect the reality of your brewery. Armed with accurate information, BeerSmith makes accurate predictions in future recipes.

When things don't line up, that's what the tools are for.

Back