• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Oak Aged Imperial beer-wine hybrid ipa

Brewmex41

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Brewing this one up tomorrow once my son goes to bed.

15 lb 2 row
1lb Munich (20*l)
1/2 lb honey malt
1/2lb carapils
1/2lb corn sugar

PacMan Yeast

1oz Magnum (12.2%) 90 min
1 oz Columbus (15.2%) 60 min
1 oz Chinook (13%) 45 min
1 oz simcoe (14.4%) 20 min
1 oz Nelson Sauvin (11.4%) 10 min
1 oz Nelson Sauvin (11.4%) 5 min
1 oz ea: Chinook, Simcoe, Nelson Sauvin, Mosaic at knockout steep
1oz Chinook, 1 oz Simcoe, 2 oz Nelson dry hop

At high krausen add 1/2 gallon white grape juice

rack to secondary and add 1/2 gallon white grape juice
add oak spiral (aged in homemade white wine first) and a fresh oak spiral
dry hop about a week before cold crashing.

Est stats before white grape juice
5 gallon batch size
OG 1.091
160 ibu
8 srm
1.017 fg
9.7%

I have a one gallon batch of white grape juice wine. There is an oak spiral in there now. I wanted to use the oak spiral, the nelson sauvin hops i have and i have done beers in the past where I'll top off with apple juice that come out great.
Can't get enough nelson sauvin! This will be my most challenging brew yet, and I want to do something over the top.

I've never used Nelson Sauvin hops.  I'm looking forward to when you bring this to a club meeting.

Scott Ickes said:
I've never used Nelson Sauvin hops.  I'm looking forward to when you bring this to a club meeting.

You're missing out!
I will, but I don't think it will be any time soon, I'm going to let it sit on the oak a little while. Hopefully long enough to get the flavors but not too long the late hop additions don't start to diminish too much. This is a beer I'll keg and force carb as quickly as I can once I feel it's ready to package.

My next brew day is a Flanders Brown (Oud Bruin) with Roselare yeast that I'll rack onto fruit cake fruits in the secondary.  Then I'll rack it off the fruit onto toasted oak and Pinot Noir wine and let it age until the taste is oaky enough.  Then I'll rack it off of the oak and let it sit in the carboy for about a year or so.  You can try it sometime in 2015!

Brewmex41 said:
I'm going to let it sit on the oak a little while. Hopefully long enough to get the flavors but not too long the late hop additions don't start to diminish too much.

Let it sit on the oak long enough to get what you want, THEN dry hop it with the oak in it.

Just guessing, but I think it'll be well north of 9%. Something like 12% more likely.

With some changes to the hopping, I think this could make a very nice Belgian Quad.

Ya ill wait until the end of the oaking stage to dry hop, then cold crash and keg. Depending on how it tastes and smells I might even get a stainless herb ball and add an oz of nelson to the keg.

Watch for potassium sorbate if your using store bought grape juice.  Its often in juices as a preservative.  sounds like your a wine maker so you know what that does to yeast

I use the Target brand organic juice. Only ingredient is white grape juice and I think vitamin c but I can't remember.

Health food stores tend to carry a lot of different juices that have no additives.  A lot of the Knudsen Brand juices are additive free.

Added the first 1/2 gallon of white grape juice today. The gravity of the juice was 1.070! I'm going to add champagne yeast when I add the second half gallon.

First hydro sample.
Estimated 1.102 OG with grape juice additions
1.014 Final Gravity.
That's, what, 86% apparent attenuation?
Brewer's friend puts it at 11.55% with the standard abv formula or 12.7% with the advanced formula for high gravity beers.
It's pretty hot, temps got up to about 70 before I put it in a water bath to keep it lower, around 64.

Attachments

• IMAG0180.jpg
    IMAG0180.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 461
Dry hops added today:
1oz whole leaf:
Centennial, simcoe, Amarillo.
1oz pellets:
Nelson sauvin, chinook.

This is a fantastic beer. I'll add this to my regular brew-tation so i always have some. I even wanted to drink the water i used to clean the carboy out, it smelled so good.

Attachments

• IMAG0205-1.jpg
    IMAG0205-1.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 425
Back