• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Add 'water agents' to either mash tun or sparge water

och29

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Use the Bru'n Water spreadsheet to calculate my water mineral additions since it is more powerful than Beersmith. I use reverse osmosis water (close to zero mineral content) and add some minerals to the mash tun before underletting the 'mash in'  water and mashing. I then add the rest of my mineral additions to the sparge water. The point of this is to have a different pH in the mash and sparge water.

It would be great if BeerSmith supported this. At the moment I add my RO water and then add my water agents but have them set to other rather than water agent and 'add' them either as 60mins mash or 10 mins before the start of the boil as a boil ingredient. That way it shows up in the right order in the brewsteps print out but it would be great to have it properly integrated.

+1

I have a lot of things that are standard to brewing process like Whirfloc and acid to sparge water that I constantly forget on brewday. I don't necessarily want these things cluttering up the main recipe list, but wouldn't mind if they showed up on a brewday sheet.

+1

I would simply like the option of using "Sparge Water" as an option in the "Use In" field when adding water agents to my recipes.

Add "Sparge" as a category in the "Use In" field.  Also allow sales/water agents to calculate in both places.  Since the mash ans sparge volumes are different, it would help to have them separated in a separate category.  As a work-around, I currently put the mash salts/agents as "Use In Mash".  I put the sparge salts/agents under "Use In Boil", to keep them separate.  This would be very helpful.

Back