• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Aloha from Maui

TAHammerton

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi all,

My name is Tom Hammerton and I live in Haiku on the Hawaiian Island of Maui. I have been brewing extract and partial mash beer on and off for 20 years. About 9 months ago I made the switch to all grain as I finally had the space and resources to do it. I am still on a tight budget and I am slowly getting all my equipment together. I have a young family and only brew at night, usually starting around 10pm and finishing clean-up around 2-3am. I tend to brew English/American styles these days, but I brewed a lot of German styles when I was young. I have never brewed with anyone else and everything I know is from Charlie Papazians book. I am trying to update myself and learn the latest in best practices in homebrewing. I do things my own way some of which are probably "wrong" as I don't know any better. I have joined the forum to learn how to be a better brewer.

I usually make a 1l starter of White labs yeast the night before. I have a rudimentary HERMS and I boil on a stove-top which is a real struggle. I am thinking of getting a gas burner but they all say only use outside and that is not an option. i imagine a lot of brewers actually use inside - is this true?

I have just entered my first brewing competition but I have to say I am underwhelmed with the beers I specifically brewed for it. None of my recipes really fit in any of the style categories so I adapted them to "fit in". The process has reminded me I still have a lot to learn.

If you see me post something that is incorrect please tell me why it is incorrect and help me be a better brewer!

If you use a propane burner inside, you'll no longer be a brewer.  You'll be a dead, former brewer.  You'd be asphixiated by the carbon monoxide.  I have a friend who brews outside on a 10' x 10' deck.  He moves everything outside, brews, cleans up and puts it all away when he's finished.

Here's an online free copy of John Palmers "How to Brew" book.  This is an older version.  If you want the most recent version, you'd have to purchase the book.  I liked it so much that I purchased the most recent edition.

http://www.30draugi.lv/meslaine/How_To_Brew_-_By_John_Palmer.pdf

Thanks Scott. I certainly am not a suicidal brewer. I imagined with an extractor of some sort fumes would not be a problem, after all many people cook on a gas stove. Anyways I think I will be sticking with the good old electric stove for now.

Any other books to recommend?

Back