• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

only dry hopped beer?

davidrgreen

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has made a beer with no hops added during the boil and then dry hopped with a good amount of hops? Was thinking about this and thought it may produce a nice easy drinking beer with some really nice hoppy flavour with no bittering...

have not done it but It maybe a good way to find out what the dry hop adds, also you could taste the grain by its self and that may help you make recipes better. 

I recently dumped a pilsner where I had changed the mill setting, resulting in my totally overshooting my intended starting gravity. There wasn't a heck of a lot of hops in there to begin with, so overshooting the gravity completely ruined the balance. I did dry hop, but not a lot. Anyway, like I said I ended up pitching it. You need some bittering hops to make it palatable.  Try it if you want, but I wouldn't do a large batch.

Maine Homebrewer said:
I recently dumped a pilsner where I had changed the mill setting, resulting in my totally overshooting my intended starting gravity. There wasn't a heck of a lot of hops in there to begin with, so overshooting the gravity completely ruined the balance.

Oh, man... It sounds like it might've lagered into a nice Helles Bock. Would've taken a month or two.

I try not to dump. I rebrand.

Once, too much dark malt was added to my Red Ale by a pretty green assistant. It turned into a very nice, light Porter. Excellent for Summer. Midsummer Porter was born!

I would suggest making 2 one gallon batches. One make it normally with your hops and the other try dry hopping only. That way if it doesn't taste right you have two choices, dump the one that was dry hoppe3d only, or mix it with the other for a sweeter hoppy brew.

Oh, man... It sounds like it might've lagered into a nice Helles Bock. Would've taken a month or two.

Nope. I gave it plenty of lagering time and it was just plain terrible. Then again I think the base malt is bordering on the stale side. That didn't help things at all.

Interesting idea. I think you need bittering hops of at least 0.2 IBU/SG - that will be pretty far in the background - otherwise it will not be very drinkable. But beer was made long before hops were discovered.

I was also just pondering Hops and how best to use them and was considering doing a no boil to see what happens. It would go something like this: Boil vigorously for 30 mins with no Hop additions, turn off the heat and throw in all the hops, put the lid on and let steep for 30mins then chill as normal. Has anybody tried anything like this?

There has been a lot of talk about "whirlpool" additions and the associated bitterness imparted so I am pretty sure there will be some isomerization, but could not tell you how much.

davidrgreen said:
Just wondering if anyone has made a beer with no hops added during the boil and then dry hopped with a good amount of hops? Was thinking about this and thought it may produce a nice easy drinking beer with some really nice hoppy flavour with no bittering...

Hmm I like to try this and see

Back