• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Burton ale yeast Honey Blonde Ale

Brewmex41

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Scott and I are going to brew the collaboration English porter sometime in June. The suggested yeast was the Burton ale yeast.
So I thought I'd try the yeast in a recipe I did last summer, with a few changes.

8lb 2 row
.5lb carapils
1lb honey malt

Bittering with chinook and using simcoe/nelson Sauvin and amarillo for flavor aroma and dry hop.

Couple questions, I added the carapils for head retention and to add a little body because the last brew came out thinner than I wanted. I used pacman, which I got 80+ % apparent attenuation, which is probably why the beer seemed thinner. Would the carapils be a little much, with this yeast?

Also the website says its optimal temperature is between 68-72. I like to try and keep my brews going a little cooler, between 62-66. I'm trying to get a good feel for this yeast, so should I aim for the 68* range? Website lists tasting notes of Apple, pear clover and honey, which I think would fit this brew

I did the collaboration brew. I used 66-67. It's a really good flavor. I wouldn't try going out of the suggested range too much. What's the point of using a new yeast and then muting the flavors...

Back