• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Share your favorite maris otter recipe

Brewmex41

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Bought a 55lb bag for $40 bucks, looking to get some ideas that feature MO. I also have some thames valley ale yeast.

Not interested in doing any SMaSH brews.

Share your favorite MO recipe!
Thanks!

Ordinary or extra bitters shine using MO. 

Try 90% MO, 10% Simpson's medium crystal, 24 IBU of EKG at 40 minutes, 6 IBU of EKG at 15 min, W1968 (London ESB) yeast.  I carb this one on the low side similar to a real ale.  This went over really well at a local fest.  If you can find it try Wyeast 1469/West Yorkshire.  I like this one slightly better because it's definitely a maltier, fuller bodied beer. 

Mark

I have attached two of my recipes which use both Maris Otter as a base malt and the Thames Valley yeast.  Both have received very favorable comments from many of the people who have tried them.

Attachments

• Honeydukes ESB.bsmx
    24.5 KB · Views: 845
  • Sweet Gale English IPA.bsmx
    20.9 KB · Views: 795
This is a good simple session ale. The Thames valley yeast is perfect for this.

9 pounds MO
1/2 pound dark crystal
1.3 oz Challenger hops 60 minutes
1/2 oz Goldings hops 10 minutes
1/3oz Goldings hops flame out

OG 1049
EBU 38

If you don't have any dark crystal leave it out, it's just as good. I've also used progress and wgv or liberty and saaz to good effect.

I did a barley wine using 1/2 Maris and half 2 row...I was very pleased, so much so that I made another for next year

Attachments

• OLD DARK WILL.bsmx
    28.1 KB · Views: 369
This is a Historical Recipe for a 1823 Devenish Porter.

Attachments

• Devenish 1823 Porter.bsmx
    22 KB · Views: 624
I'm brewing the collaboration porter, here in the beersmith recipe forum. And I'm brewing two 1 gallon batches. Both 2lb MO and 3oz Munich malt. I'm going to do a side by side comparison. I'll test the pH of my mash, and use lactic acid to adjust. And ill add gypsum to see if the reason my Ipas aren't bitter enough is because my city water lacks any sulfate.

I'm loving this malt, the attached recipe is only my third all grain and is my best brew yet. Does have a fair bit of Munich in the bill. Next brew will have much more MO for sure perhaps one of these recipes here.

Cheers

Attachments

• Styrian Gold.bsmx
    18.7 KB · Views: 427
Ok so I've decided this weekend I'm brewing the following:
14lb MO
.5LB Munich
.5lb wheat
.5lb cane sugar @flameout
148* for 60 min
Rogue pacman yeast

2oz fwh magnum (12.2%) 90 min
1oz chinook (13%) 15 min
1oz simcoe (14.4%) 10 min
1oz nelson Sauvin 5 min
Flameout steep 1oz ea: chinook, simcoe, nelson.

And my next batch will be something like 9lb MO, .5Lb British crystal malt and some English hops, with the Thames valley yeast. I should be able to get a feel for this malt between the porter i brewed, the Ipa I'll brew Fathers day and the English ale I just mentioned.

So I ended up doing the recipe i posted above and wow. I think I will be using mo more for my ipa brews. I think next I wanna do a MO, Mosaic and Citra ipa.

Attachments

• IMAG0390.jpg
    IMAG0390.jpg
    815 KB · Views: 814
Back