• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Shocking!

chasinreno

Brewer
Reaction score
I've finally gotten cold crash figured out.  Ya, I know.
Now that I can drop my fermentation temperature down to 35F with relative ease I'm worried that I'm chilling my yest to fast.  I've done a bit of research and can't find a consensus on how much temperature change a yeast can stand.
Does anyone have reality based experience they can share?  The theorists seem to be a little confused. :)

Cold crashing ale yeast is intended to drop out the yeast quickly.  While shocked a bit, they don't purge their innerds and spoil you beer.  Mostly, they go dormant.  To slowing drop the temp, start with 3F per day then at around 55, go the rest of the way.  By then, ale yeast are pinching themselves to stay awake as is pretty safe to crank it down.

That clarifies a lot.  And it sounds like a good plan.  I had only one recipe with chill instructions and it recommended 5F per day to 35F. 

Thanks for the info.

Back