• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewing tomorrow with BeerSmith first time.

E

EABonney

I am not sure if this is in the correct forum, if not, please feel free to move it to the correct spot.

I am going to be brewing tomorrow for the first time using BrewSmith.  I have used another software package for years and I have heard so many great things about BeerSmith I thought I would give is a shot on my next batch.

My question is it appears that after I am finished brewing my batch, I just enter all the specific information about that batch right into the recipe is that correct?  This seems fine for this batch, but then what do I do when/if I brew the same recipe over again?  Is there no way to keep a running list of each batch I make and then be able to compare the notes and gravities etc of each batch?

Thanks for the help.

-Eric

I have a folder for each year.  I just copy the orginal recipe into the correct folder.

That way I have notes for each time with date the year and all the numbers :)

Don

If you want to brew the same batch again right click on whatever recipe you want and select 'Duplicate'.  This will make a duplicate of that exact recipe including all the notes etc.  Just change the dates and the notes (if you want) and voila!, you have an exact coply of the recipe you want to make another batch of.

Myself, I just keep a running log in my 'Brew Log' file, and those recipes I've made duplicates of are labeled as I, II, III, IV, V, ..... etc., etc. .....

Hope that helps.

- GL63

Hey Guys thanks for the responses.  Well I just finished up about an hour ago with my Ordinary Bitter that was based on the recipe that was in this months BYO.  It will take some time getting used to BeerSmith I think, but overall I liked using it.

I need to take a look more at the manual and see if I can figure out and fine tune my system.

I do have another question though.  Is there a way to figure out what my preboil OG should be at the estimated volume using BeerSmith?  My system is still in the fine tuning mode and it would help me to know if I need to add any DME to my wort before the boil to get it upto the correct OG.

Thanks again.

-Eric

Hey that is cool! I didn't realize that view was there.  Is there a mashing profile that will give you an equal amount batch sparge?  I usually add more water to my mash tun after the initial mash is completed so that when I do drain the wort, I get roughly 1/2 of the amount each time.  So far I really am liking BeerSmith the more I play around with it. :D

Thanks again for the help!

-Eric

Back