• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

whirlpool temp adjustment

mppatriots

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi.  I wanted to suggest the ability to adjust the temp at which you whirlpool your hops as whirlpooling immediately after boil will extract different IBUs than chilling to 175 and then whirlpooling.  Currently I believe beersmith assumes whirlpooling at 195.

Also, is there any way of adjusting strike temp to compensate for pumping?

Thanks,
Mike

+1 to the lower whirlpool temps.
A simple box on the dialog to track temperature at which added and removal of IBU calculations from whirlpooled hops. And possibly fix Ibu calculations from late additions not adding IBUs if temps are 195.

By pumping you mean by the time you pump your water across to the mash tun from HLT the temperature drops a few degrees?

Yes that is correct.  I lose temp, which I assume is mainly due to the pump head, which is stainless.  My plan for the future is to overshoot my strike water, transfer it to the mashtun and then allow the temp to settle in the mashtun.  Hopefully by overshooting it will end up a degree or two over and then i'll just stir to allow it to drop to my planned strike temp and then mash in.

Back