• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Lager Fermentation screwed up?

bigfishbrewing

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Recently did a Nordeast Clone and fermentation temps were supposed to be as follows:
Primary - 54 degrees for 7 days
Secondary - 37 degrees for 30 days

We screwed up and this is what ours ended up being:
Primary - 68 degrees for 7 days
Secondary - 37 degrees for 30 days (but only on day 7 of the 30)

What will this do to our beer outcome?

Sounds like you ended up fermenting in a similar style of anchor steam beer, which uses lager yeast fermented at ale yeast temperatures. You may notice more fruity esters coming from the higher temps. I'm sure it will be fine, taste it and see what you think. Cheers!

I second the others.  It will probably be fine, but something to consider in the future:

Research indicates that dropping your lagering below 40F doesn't do much for the yeast. (Yeast. The practical guide to beer fermentation. Page 114).  If you haven't bottled/kegged it yet, taste it before you cap/tap it.  If you're not happy with it, consider bringing it up to around 50F and let it lager for a while and taste it regularly until you feel that the yeast has cleaned up after itself.

You guys are starting to sound like me now. There is absolutely nothing you can do about it at this point so, don't worry. Relax. Have a homebrew and, see how it turns out. I like the way things are going here. He he!!

So, it is 30 days later.  Do tell how it turned out!

It'll have a slightly more estery taste but will clear quicker  ;)

I do our Helles at (let me convert this...) 46.4F  for the first few days (4-5) and gradually drop the temperature to 41F once the beer is at 5%/1.020 SG.  Then it's into the lager vessels at 41F for a week and then down to 32F for a month or two (this assumes your OG was 12%).  In the last week it gets dropped to 29.3F.

Oh and pitching a little below, like 42.8F in this case, is also a good idea!

Either way, it'll always end up as beer!

Back