• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Converting Extract to All Grain

KevinK441

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello.  I am entering the extract recipe into Beersmith and hitting the convert button and selecting all grain with my equipment profile and it does nothing.  Is there some setting which needs clicked or something to make it convert right?  Thanks. 

That conversion tool is for changing all grain into extract.

When going from extract to all grain, a whole world of choices opens up. Just the base malt alone lets you choose for color, toastiness, enzymes.

"Dark" extract is even more tricky. What makes it "dark?" Roast malt? Chocolate Malt? Carafe? Food Coloring?  In all grain, you can make malt choices based on the flavors you want in each recipe. A Porter, Stout and Black IPA can all have the same color, but you want very different flavors in these.

Pale malt is the heart of any recipe, often as 80-100% of the grain. Generally when you convert extract to AG, start by adding enough pale malt to get the gravity you're looking for. Add specialty malts for color and flavor, then back off the pale malt until you get to the correct gravity again. You can expect much more punch in terms of flavor and color from mashing specialty malts that you got when you steeped.

Thank you sir.  I appreciate your response!  That certainly clears things up for me. 

brewfun said:
Generally when you convert extract to AG, start by adding enough pale malt to get the gravity you're looking for. Add specialty malts for color and flavor, then back off the pale malt until you get to the correct gravity again. You can expect much more punch in terms of flavor and color from mashing specialty malts that you got when you steeped.

Bravo, brewfun.

Back