• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash time

celt

Apprentice
Reaction score
On Beersmith 2.2  I am doing a full body beer 17 LBS of grain fpr a 5 gallon batch.
On my mash profile, the mash time comes up as 45 min.  I just cannot see that mashing for only 45 min can work.
Any suggestions? Comments? Help?
Thanks

You are not limited to the defaults. You can edit any profile or steps within any recipe.

In the mash tab, simply double click the step. Then edit either the rise time (how long it'll take to add any water, plus time for the temperature to stabilize) and/or the step time (how long you want it to rest at that temperature).

Conversion is a matter of water ratio, pH and temperature. The larger weight isn't relevant. A big mash will convert just as fast as a smaller one if they have the same mash variables.

What is the proper water to grain ratio for best efficiency ? And can you tell me more about PH levels?
Thanks

Mash methods, various efficiencies and water chemistry impact are discussed in great detail in some of the pinned topics at the top of this forum. They also get a lot of attention and even more detail on other forums.

One of the easiest to use resources is "How to Brew" by John Palmer.

The short answer is that mash efficiency is really broken into two parts; Conversion and Sparge. In this thread, we're discussing conversion efficiency, or, how to get proteins broken down and the starches converted into sugar. Generally a normal water to grain ratio is 1.25 quart/lb (2.5 liter/Kg), sometimes a little thicker, other times a little thinner.

As far as BeerSmith is concerned, the working measurement is "Brewhouse Efficiency." For BeerSmith, this is the percentage of total sugars that make it into the fermenter vs. the total amount possible from the grain. This efficiency measurement accounts for losses due to equipment and process as well as simply leaving sugar in the grain.

Back