• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Strange extract to All grain conversion

Beer_Tigger

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Does this look right to you?
Extract recipe (partial):
6 lbs Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 70.6 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 17.6 %
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 120L (Briess) (120.0 SRM) Grain 11.8 %

When converted to all grain:
2 lbs 11.7 oz Caramel Malt - 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 75.2 %
7 lbs 7.5 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 14.9 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 120L (Briess) (120.0 SRM) Grain 9.9 %

First off, the percentages are weird.  Secondly, the balance of 7 lbs of black patent seems weird.

When I copied these two recipes to a folder, the percentages recalculated and were corrected to:
7 lbs 7.5 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 58.8 %
2 lbs 11.7 oz Caramel Malt - 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 21.5 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 120L (Briess) (120.0 SRM) Grain 19.7 %

So to recreate this: make a recipe like the top, then convert to All grain.

What do you think?

I think the software is more designed to make extract recipes of all-grain. There's too many variables going the other way, but it does seem strange that it would be so crazy off like that.

Hmmm,
  What base malt did you use for the all grain conversion??  Using Pale Malt (2 row) for my base malt I got the following result:

9 lbs 7.4 oz Pale Malt (2 row)
  1 lbs 10.3 oz Crystal - 120L
  1 lbs 7.3 oz Black Patent (500 srm)

...which seems a lot more reasonable.  Is it possible you had "Black patent" or some other odd malt selected as the base malt for the conversion (the base malt shows up on the conversion dialog when you convert the recipe)??

Cheers!
Brad

OK, I had Caramel Malt (10L) and it gave me the goofy numbers.  I changed to the Pale Malt and got your numbers.  The Caramel Malt has 0's for the Properties, that's probably why.  How does one get thoses numbers for other malts?

In general you want to use pale malt as the base malt unless you are brewing something rare.

Cheers!
Brad

Back