• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Profile???? For a Pilsner

Millsnz

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm really new to brewing and to beersmith. I'm setting up a recipe for a Bohemian Pilsner. What's the best mash profile for this type of beer

I agree with KernelCrush.  Try using a clean ale yeast or a klosch yeast.  I would concentrate on getting all your techniques rock solid first.  Do you have the ability to ferment at 50* and lager around 40*?  The slightest error will show in this beer.  I take that you are doing all grain?  What grains are you using, yeast, hops, water etc?  most modern malts are fine with a single infusion mash. Decoction Mashing is traditional.

Yes a bit of history there.  They have some cool videos on their website too, the last time I was there.

Cheers guys for your responses. I definitely have jumped into the deep end on this one. I am new to this but luckily I have a very keen brewing friend who's going help me along the way. I'm pretty sure is not going to work out right but I'm a all or nothing kind of guy. Kernelcrush I't winter in NZ so i'm pretty sure i'm going to be able to get 50 and 40, but I will look into this, any idea on how to maintain this constant temp?

I'm doing a 23L batch, This is what I currently have for the brew. (Sorry it in Metric)

4.20 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (3.9 EBC) - Grain (additional 0.9kg)
937.0 g Munich Malt - 20L (39.4 EBC) - Grain
312.3 g Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) - Grain
100.2 g czech saaz [3.1%] - Boil 60 min - Hops
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10 min) Misc
1 pkgs Saflager Lager (DCL/Fermentis #W-34/70) - Yeast

If you think this is all wrong let me know, and if you have any ideas on what I could make instead of it.

attached is my .bsmz file if that helps

Attachments

• bohemian-pilsner-v1.bsmx
    17.7 KB · Views: 13
That's a lot of dark Munich at 20L.  I'd use a smaller amount of light Munich, and much more pilsner.  Color tops out at 6 SRM, which dark yellow/gold.

Aim for 35 to 45 IBUs, in line with the OG.  Style guidelines mention Saaz aroma and flavor, so a small 20-minute and 5-minute addition would help there. 

If it were me, and its not, I would drop the Munich altogether and use weyermann bohemian pilsner, and lower your 60 min hops to get 20-25 IBU, saving the rest later additions.  Substituting a  higher AA noble hop at 60 min would not hurt.  I have used Perle.  You will need more yeast.  If you click the starter tab your yeast is in the white window, double click on it and  you can enter the yeast production date then increase your yeast package count until it gets to or over the 'yeast cells needed' number.  Looks like you are doing a decoction mash.  They are difficult.  If you stay with it I would shorten your protein rest by half or better.  You may want to try a single infusion light body.

I don't have any method on temp control without a fridge and temperature controller.  Maybe someone else can help?

Back