• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Export from Desktop / Import to Tablet

chrismcnally1234

Apprentice
Reaction score
I run BS 1.4 on my Linux box, never upgraded to 2. I like the full version on Androis and I would like to export my old recipies from Linux and load them onto my Android tablet. is that possible?

I did not see the answer searching on export and import.

Hi,
  Currently you would need a desktop copy of BeerSmith 2.2 to do this.  The desktop 2.2 version can import your old recipes, and also allow them to put the recipes in your cloud account - where they would also be available from your Android device.

Brad

That's really disappointing Brad. I love BS software and I've purchased it for each device I use, and I will continue to do so,  but I don't brew often enough to pay for the cloud storage. I don't want the cloud sharing, I just want my own recipes on multiple devices.  I already pay for general cloud storage and I don't want to pay again for just BS cloud storage. I just want to have my recipe on my tablet when I'm at the homebrew store, but If I start it on my desktop then I don't have a way to get it to the tablet except by sharing screenshots.

I hope you will reconsider that. I like the BS app for my desktop, and I like the tablet app when I'm on the go. But I need to somehow share data and I don't like the cloud solution as it stands. 

+1 to no cloud sharing. I should be able to export an importable version of a recipe without needing the internet.

This actually begs the question of why there is no ability to use other cloud shares.

Is there a technical reason why the software (both desktop and mobile) don't allow any cloud sources besides the ones controlled by Beersmith, or is it purely about money?  If it's a technical issue (i.e. not sure how to link it to dropbox or GDrive or other cloud flavors), I'm sure there would be plenty of people happy to assist you with this.  Even if I was only able to use .bsxm or .xml files, as long as I could export them from the desktop version (or websites) I'd be happy, and it would keep your products top-of-mind.

I grabbed the trial version of the software to see if it's beneficial to me over the app alone.  I'm finding the ingredients list to be way too limited in the app, and it's too hard to enter the values for every step using the onscreen keyboard. While I can add ingredients and such much easier on the desktop, I have no interest in running to my laptop every time I want to do anything and it's too much work to process all of the add on files there (i.e. mark them cloud, then sync and mark them local, rinse and repeat) to get everything over to my tablet.  As noted by others elsewhere, I refuse to pay you a yearly subscription (and an expensive one at that) when I already pay for much more flexible cloud service (can save any file type, pictures, etc) elsewhere. I'm almost better off using my notepad (Evernote, which cloud syncs for free) and the standalone brew timer app that I downloaded (for free).

As it stands right now, I'm not seeing the value in a desktop license, especially after I paid for the mobile app (which I also use very little).  I'd be a little more lenient if you had offered a package deal (i.e. pay for the desktop, here's an activation code for the mobile or pay for the mobile, get limited desktop version).  With the separate prices as well as the fairly limiting subscription based "cloud" service, it begins to look like a money grab.

Thanks for listening.

Hi,
  You can transfer ingredients and profiles as part of a recipe:  http://beersmith.com/transferring-equipment-profiles-and-ingredients-from-desktop-to-beersmith-mobile/

I created the cloud not only to let people transfer data but also to serve as a repository for brewers to share recipes.  Dropbox and Google Drive don't really let you do this seamlessly, and they certainly don't offer a searchable database of 10's of thousands of beer recipes.  I am looking at adding more integration (be able to share ingredients/transfer those more easily, shared inventory, shopping lists, etc).

If you can figure out how to get Apple or Google to allow me to bundle the desktop and mobile versions together in one package without taking 30% off the top of both versions please let me know!  Neither store even lets me publish discount codes much less give away versions of my app to existing desktop users only (except in very limited numbers - such as beta testing).  Basically the stores only let me publish the mobile app at one price for everyone.

Brad

If they get %30 why not just sell the app as a .apk or .ipa at a discount on your webpage so at least some people can opt for that route?

I brew once or twice a month and the free BS cloud storage of 15 recipes (I think) works out well. I keep any recipe I am working on in "My Recipes"  and then copy to the cloud account when I need to transfer from one device to another. By moving from "my cloud" to "My Recipes" on each device I can have backups of all my recipes on the pc and/or tablet.

Same method works to move new profiles or ingredients across machines.

My 2cents ...

Back