• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

No CO2 coming from Air Lock

RickS

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I brewed a Brewer's Best - American Amber kit on the 18th of June and on the 19th it had a very vigorous frementation but on the 20th and today there has been no action at the air lock.

Should I open the fermentation bucket and chack the SG after only one day of action?

Nope.  It's fine.  The bucket probably has a small leak.  They are notorious for letting CO2 escape through the lid seal, instead of the airlock.  You probably don't have it completely down tight.  I've had mine down tight and it still leaks slightly sometimes.  I've even made double batches and put one in a bucket and one in a glass carboy.  The glass carboy always seems to go longer, even though the gravities come down at about the same rate.  I've always attributed the difference to some of the CO2 leaking out between the lid seal, instead of all of it going through the airlock.  But it isn't a problem.  I would let it go for about a week before checking gravity.

My guess is the bucket lid isn't tight. 

It's not a big deal unless you plan to store it for a while. An imperfect seal around something making positive pressure is still good.  As long as you don't let it sit around too long it should be OK.

Thanks, it is a new bucket and you are probably right I didn't get it tight.

Back