Author Topic: BeerSmith/Brewing Classic Styles  (Read 11493 times)

Offline grathan

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: BeerSmith/Brewing Classic Styles
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 10:55:32 AM »
You can call it Brewhouse yield, BHE, or Brewhouse Efficiency. I am not looking for the industry Jargon and I understand the Yield forumula when it pertains to brewing in general.

What I don't understand is how you say you changed the brewhouse yield in the OP's recipe and it changed the predicted OG.

If I change the Tot Efficiency on the main recipe page. The predicted OG  of the recipe does not change.
If I change the Brewhouse Efficiency in the OP's recipe's Equipment Profile, The predicted OG of that recipe does not change.

Offline brewfun

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Malt dust is just alcohol's glitter
Re: BeerSmith/Brewing Classic Styles
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 11:46:16 AM »
I first explained it here:
Just changing the recipe from extract type to partial mash brings the estimated gravity significantly closer

Then again here:
With all recipes closed, you can change the steeping efficiency in Options > Advanced > Steeping Efficiency.

Here:
When the recipe is changed to Partial Mash. This is when BeerSmith calculations came closer to the book.

And here, with greater detail:
As an Extract recipe, changing the efficiency has to be done in Options > Advanced > Steeping efficiency. BeerSmith ignores the Equipment Profile changes for extract recipes.

Then one more time and with even more detail, here:
Extract gets 100% of the potential sugars into the wort. Grain does not. Thus, Brewhouse Efficiency (as defined by BeerSmith) can only be discussed where a mash is involved.

In a recipe type of EXTRACT, the Brewhouse efficiency is not calculated and steeped grain is assigned a lower percentage contribution to the wort. This is why I approached it from a partial mash type where all the calculations are used.
Beer Appreciation is the space between pints.

modification