• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

re using yeast

Damrite

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi everyone,  I will be kegging for the first time tonite  :p
I'm planning on brewing in a couple days, my question is can I make a yeast starter rite away with the same yeast and use it in a couple days.

are you planning on using the yeast that just made the beer you are kegging? If so there is no reason for a starter imo. just take about 1/2 the yeast cake and pitch it on your next beer.

But I won't be ready to brew for a few days and I'm out of beer ;-(

Follow the yeast washing steps, but simplify.  If your current beer is relatively mild, no super spices or hops or dark grains, then the yeast cake should be neutral. 
  • Boil a canning jar of water, sanitizing the jar & lid.
    Cool the water to the temp that the yeast is at. 
    Rack the current beer off.
    Dump the water in and swish around.
    Dump the slurry into the jar.
    Clean the jar opening & cover it.
    Put in fridge until brew day.

That's what I am about to do tomorrow as I leave for a week and can't brew the next beer in the series until I return.

Beer_Tigger said:
Follow the yeast washing steps, but simplify.  If your current beer is relatively mild, no super spices or hops or dark grains, then the yeast cake should be neutral. 
  • Boil a canning jar of water, sanitizing the jar & lid.
    Cool the water to the temp that the yeast is at. 
    Rack the current beer off.
    Dump the water in and swish around.
    Dump the slurry into the jar.
    Clean the jar opening & cover it.
    Put in fridge until brew day.

That's what I am about to do tomorrow as I leave for a week and can't brew the next beer in the series until I return.
  that is what I do also. I have had washed yeast in the fridge for three weeks with good results. just do not over tighten the lid, some yeast like to build pressure while sitting.

All of the advice is good but, next time just brew on keg day. A couple of extra days in the fermenter won't hurt a thing. Pull the yeast off the bottom into a sanitized container and set it in the fridge. When the new batch is in the fermenter just dump it in. I have also heard guys that use carboys or buckets say to just rack the old beer off and, rack the new one in on top of the old yeast cake. That will work too. I have never done the later but I get this info from credible brewers.

Back