• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewing and conditioning a hefeweizen

cmbrougham

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I've got a camping trip coming up in three weeks, and want to take along a fresh beer. Given that it's summer(ish), and the time frame, a hefeweizen seemed to be just the ticket.

I've got a simple, straightforward recipe put together (four ingredients--awesome!), and am planning on brewing it up this evening. I'm trying to decide the best fermentation and conditioning/kegging schedule. Since its a hefeweizen, obviously it being young and fresh is OK (preferable, actually), and any yeast kicked up in transport of the keg is part-and-parcel to the style.

I'm thinking about keg conditioning it--letting fermentation go to completion, which should be fast since I'm using Safale WB-06, for about a week--and then racking to the keg and letting it self-carbonate. Any thoughts on this practice, or suggestions for a better approach?

Thanks!

I have done this a few times before but, it is not likely I will do it again. The problem with this is, you are planning to move the keg. It will get stirred up. Not a big deal because that style is cloudy anyway but, the yeast flavors may be imparted in the beer. You could transfer to a clean keg but, it is a lot of work for little gain, if any. To be honest, I don't think you will notice much of a difference in flavor. Sure, the added sugar will change it some but, not much at all. I would say just force carbonate it or bottle condition it. The keg will likely leak around the top because it is not under pressure. Unless you have brand new kegs they will leak. Even new ones do. I lager in kegs all the time and it works fine. I don't care that they leak in that situation. I guess my point is, it won't really be naturally carbonated if you have to pressurize it with CO2 to get it to seal.

Back