• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Weak Carbonation :-[

BigBry68

Master Brewer
Reaction score
OK so I have an American IPA that has been primary for 10 days and secondary 10 days, bottled 3 weeks.  Yes, I am still bottling (though seeing the benefits of kegging).  I cracked a couple and was disappointed to find an almost flat response.  Taste is good. but carbonation is almost non-existent.  Anything I can do?  I carbonated with 5 oz corn sugar in a cup of water for a 5 gallon batch.  :-[

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/434407/-ipa-extract-may-3rd-big-brew

If the recipe matters I have included the link

Thanks  ???

You could try shaking the bottles to rouse the yeast and put them some place warm.  On top of your refrigerator is a warm place.  This might help the yeast along.

I've had beers that after three weeks seemed to be low on carbonation, but with aging for over a month in the bottle they eventually carbed up nice.

Shake, store in a warm place (keep them out of the light though) and have some patience.

How accurate is that recipe? If it is, then you forgot to add yeast!  :eek: ;D

The Fermentation tab shows you recorded preboil volume of 5 gallons and gravity of 1.061. Your batch size also shows 5 gallons but a gravity of 1.046. Where did the gravity go? Boilover? There are no notes to explain it. Nothing about kettle or fermenter finings, either.

Accurate brewing records are an important step towards getting correct advice. That leaves us just giving you WAGs until something works. ...Just sayin'...

I know it's frustrating when a batch stalls and it's the same on this end when we can't get enough info to help quickly.

Scott's advice makes the most sense. Temperature matters.

I've opted to just swirl the sediment and turn the bottle over for 4 days, then back upright for four more. This forces the yeast through the whole bottle and it will ferment sugar it contacts.

Yeast used was Mangrove Jack West Coast Yeast, this is a recipe posted by a local brewery/ beer supply store; I guess they forgot to add the yeast online.  :-[ I got the recipe from them on location and only later found it on beersmith.  Didn't verify all ingredients but it looks like that's all that's missing.  :eek: My personal OG was 1.057 FG 1.016.  Fermentation seemed as normal as any in my short experience.  I gave a little shake and flipped the bottles.  We will see what happens next.

Thanks for your advice.

What temperature have you stored the beer in? If the bottles are too cold, the yeast might be dragging its heels.

If the bottles that you tried that you're not happy with have been taken out of the fridge when you tried them, try opening one at room temperature. I had a batch that suffered from the dreaded chill haze. When they had been in the fridge, they were cloudy and lifeless (for a few weeks) at room temps, the carbonation was perfect and haze free. I tucked them away for a few weeks and it settle out and became a nice beer.

Greetings,

I would ask the same basic questions as the previous posts.
- What (Actual) temp did you keep the beer at after bottling?
- Was your yeast old?
- Does the beer seem to carb up at room temp?
- Did anything odd happen during the brewing?

I actually ran into this very recently.
I was getting a (better) handle on temperature control, and found it was taking longer to complete the same recipes.
When I started (Room temp no fridge etc.) I could brew an IPA in 4 weeks no issues nice carb... (A little unpredictable but worked)
As I got better at taking notes and invested ($$) in temp management, at 4 weeks it my IPA was actually still pretty flat.
But! if I let it warm to room temp they would pop pretty nice...

So I left the bottles at 71F (+- 1 ;) about two more weeks, "POP" hell yea! Wunderbar BIER!!  8)

So don't panic.
Rage

I agree with Scott. Put it some place warm if it is currently in a cool location. Or, you may just let it set longer. Sometimes it just takes a bit longer to carb up. Then go buy those kegs in case it still doesn't take off. Crack every bottle and slowly pour them in the keg without splashing. Then force carb it and chill it. Next, drink the whole damn keg within a day or two in the event that too much oxy got in there. 5 gallons is only 40 pints. You get about 5 or 6 buddies and it will be gone in no time.

Back