• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Greetings

C

cheaptoy

Hi everyone,

To introduce myself, I'm currently brewing out of Madison, WI.  I started with a roomate shortly after moving down here in about October of 2005.  I made the switch to all-grain about 6 months ago.  I'm also now down to a one-man operation in the small apartment I just moved in to.

My equipment:
9-gallon SS pot for a mash tun with a SS braided hose for a manifold. (although I need to switch to a cooler one of these days until I can use the turkey fryer again.)
9-gallon SS brew kettle.
6.5-gallon glass carboy primary fermentor
5-gallon glass carboy secondary fermentor

My story is very similar.  I started the same time, and switched to all grain only one month ago.  I've been brewing by myself the whole time, and have more than 55 batches under my belt.

My equipment:
Expecting a new aluminum 15 gallon brew kettle anytime now (had an unfortunate accident with my 10 gallon pot).
Also just got a half barrel to use as a hot liquor tank.  Almost ready to ramp up to 10 gallon batching.
10 gallon Igloo cooler with a copper manifold.
2 - 6 gallon glass carboys for primary.
2 - 5 gallon glass carboys for secondary.
A homemade fermentation/lagering cabinet (Google: son of fermentation).
A homemade counter pressure bottle filler.

jrwalt said:
A homemade fermentation/lagering cabinet (Google: son of fermentation).

Oooh, I might have to make myself one of these someday soon.  Lagering is something I haven't been able to do just yet, and I really want to try my hand at making a refreshing pilsner for summer consumption.  I think I'll hang on to that instruction document.  Thanks for pointing me to that.

I worked in Madison from 1994 until 2003.  There are a lot of great microbewers there like Capital City, Angelin's (something like that).  That restaurant/micro place downtown across from the GEF buildings, (I wanna say "Gray's" or something like that).  I just "discovered" homebrewing here in Pennsylania.  I'm going to be visiting former coworkers and relatives next month in Madison, Janesville, and Beloit.  Where do you get your supplies?  I never knew of a place when I lived in Southern WI.

Back