• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Anyone Use Beersmith 2 for Commerical System - Equipment Profile?

jdlev

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Was looking for some help in using beersmith to manage our commercial recipes and estimate our product costs.  Had a few questions.

Here's the parameters on our equipment.
Brewhouse:
8BBL HLT - 247 gallons working volume, 310 gallons total volume
8BBL Mash Tun - 247 gallons working volume, 310 gallons total volume
8BBL Boil Kettle - 247 gallons working volume, 310 gallons total volume
6 x 15BBL Jacketed Conical Unitanks - 465 gallons working volume, 580 gallons total volume

1) Hop utilization: We'll be well over the suggested 20g 100% hop utilization figure, so any ideas on what we should set that figure to?
2) When it comes to mash tun volume, is that the working volume or the total volume?
3) When fermenting, is there a certain percentage of the total batch that should be used to estimate loss to trub and chilling? I was going to stick with a 4% volume loss when cooling from 212 degrees to 68 degrees.
4) Should I leave the mash tun specific heat at .12? It's stainless, but I plan on insulating it with something - any suggestions on materials to use for insulating?
5) The boil volume looks like it will be 297.8 gallons on a boil kettle that only has a volume of 310 gallons...seems to me that would lead to boil overs.  Is my batch volume of 230 gallons overly optimistic, or are my losses of 25 gallons to boil off (on a 45 or 60kW electric system), 10.7 g loss to cooling, 13.5g loss to trub, and 13.25g loss in the fermenter to yeast high?

Here's my equipment profile as it stands right now:

The HLT looks very undersized.

On a brew day, I need water for tank and heat exchanger sanitation, my yield volume, trub loss, evaporation and grain absorption. Plus a little to keep my pump primed. That adds up. Add in some CIP needs and suddenly I can use 40 bbl just to get 18 out of the kettle.

Your system is based on double batching, so it needs a much bigger HLT to accommodate that in a single day. As written out, it'll take 12 days of brewing to fill the fermenters.

Based on pretty normal Ale production time, you're looking at 18 fills per fermenter, per year. At times, you'll have to empty 3 or 4 fermenters per week (if your beer and sales people are any good  ;) ). By having to take two days to fill each fermenter, the third one in line will wait at least 6 days to fill. This is an opportunity cost of 4 batches per year for that fermenter.

With this equipment plan, your system will max out at 10 fermenters, 2300 bbl annually (avg 13 bbl yield) and likely take at least 3 people to run on 7 day productivity. No time for maintenance or upgrades without losing volume.

The trio that make the whole brewery go are your heat source, glycol system and brew house. Buy these based on where you want to be in 5 years. Don't skimp and look for as many places to automate the operation as possible. It requires a bigger initial investment, but really covers itself in ROI through ease of expansion.

Go here: http://beersmith.com/blog/2014/06/11/scaling-beer-recipes-for-commercial-use-with-beersmith/

Back