• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Strike/Infusion set up

T

timmer

Is it really necessary to add the Mash Tun weight?
I have no idea what it is.
All I know is that I use a 5 gallon Gott beverage cooler.
Thanks.

If you have a look in the equipement menu you will find a preset that uses a 5 gallon gott cooler, it lists the weight as 1.81kg.

Cheers
Andrew

Thanks Andrew, didn't notice that.
But if it has it pre configured in the Equipment section why isn't it pre configured in the Strike/Infusion section?
And besides, if all 5 gallon Gott coolers are the same, why does it bother having the weight listed. It doesn't seem that it would make a bit of difference when you're figuring what the strike/infusion temp. is.
It is just that the Beersmith program seems to have a little over kill but of course I haven't been brewing for very long.
I am surprised it doesn't ask what color my cooler is. :)

Timmer,
You need to select and input your equipement in order for Beersmith to ACCURATELY calculate your infusion temps based on the equipement used, there is also a 10 gallon Gott cooler available which is listed as well and you will note it is heavier too, and that will make a difference to your infusion temp..
Have a good read through here http://www.beersmith.com/equipment_setup.htm and it explains how to setup your existing equipement in Beersmith. Believe me, once you have your equipement setup properly you will mash in at just the right temp every time.
I found this was the single most important step to get everything going smoothly.

Cheers
Andrew

Back