• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Setting up an adjunct mash (not a decoction) in Beersmith

Uncle Blow

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'd like to create a mash profile that has both a main mash, and a concurrent adjunct mash that is ultimately boiled and then added to the main mash, but I haven't found an elegant way to do this in BeerSmith. 

If any of you have figured out a good way to do this I'd sure like to hear from you.

The cereal mash is best handled as its own recipe and the yield handled as an ingredient line in the main recipe.

The slurry addition is given a decoction line in the main mash. This just helps predict temperature better.

Brewfun, I understand the premise but I'm not sure how that would work in formulating the mash recipe.  For example, if I wanted to cereal mash 3 pounds of soft red winter wheat to use in a Wit Bier, would I design the recipe with  the complete grain bill (to include the 3# wheat and 1# 6 row for the cereal mash).  Then subtract the amount of water I used for the cereal mash from the total I need for the entire mash?  Then adjust the rest of the strike water to whatever temperature I need to hit my target?  Sorry for all the questions, but I don't want to spend an hour doing a cereal mash just to F up the recipe.  Any more details you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Making BeerSmith describe Cereal Mash procedure is challenging. I simply create a recipe for the cereal mash which becomes an "extract decoction infusion" for the main recipe. It's simply a procedure description and log. 

The cereal equipment profile is just a pot set at 100% efficiency, no trub loss. I set the cereal mash to Batch Sparge 0%, drain the mashtun. The gravity always shows 1.030.

In the mash I've provided, the protein rest is optional and only benefits the small amount of 6-row. It's perfectly fine to go straight to the upper end of conversion and skip the protein rest.

The main recipe should just show the malts minus anything you used to make the slurry. In turn, the slurry is only the grain weight used for it. The cereal slurry is shown with it's actual contribution of 1.020. This is due to it being half water bound with starches.

Within the main recipe, the slurry's ingredient profile is 1.020 because it's about half water. Your brewhouse efficiency will calculate this contribution correctly if your efficiency number is correct.

The mash has a decoction line, but it's named "Add Cereal Slurry." You'll just have to ignore the direction to remove any of the main mash. You should get about a 20 F degree rise in mash temperature.

Bonus points if you know who the recipe is a tribute to.

Attachments

• Ledbetter Lager Cereal.bsmx
    14 KB · Views: 222
  • Ledbetter Lager Complete.bsmx
    21 KB · Views: 226
Sparging is the next issue. I fly sparge with a constant amount of water on the grain, so I don't really look at water volume beyond what's in my kettle.

For batch sparging, draining the mash tun and just making the next batch equal to what you need to fill the kettle seems easiest.

The adjunct grain needs the water up front, but this is released during conversion. The grain itself isn't absorbing any more water than usual. So, total water is still just preboii vol + absorption.

Back