• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Overcarbonation

BlueWingPig

Apprentice
Reaction score
Recently made a Black IPA and Moose drool clone.  Added 103 g of corn sugar to the Black IPA (5 gallons) and 85 g to the Moose Drool clone (4.75 gallons).  Both are way overcarbed. One of the IPA bombers actually exploded.  Fermentation temp was in the mid to high 60's F. What am I missing?  These don't seem to be high amounts of corn sugar to me.  Both of these beers finished at 1.010. Thanks for any help you can suggest.

IT would be helpful if you included the recipies for them.

I've included the recipes.

Moose Drool Clone
8.5 # 2-row
1# Crystal 60
0.5# Crystal 10
0.5# Carafoam
0.5# Flaked Oats
0.12 # Black
1 oz East Kent Goldings--60 min
1 oz Liberty--15 min
1 oz Williamette--5 min
0.75 oz Liberty--Flamout
WLP 002 yeast with starter

Black IPA
10 # 2-row
1 # Crystal 60l
0.5 # Roasted Wheat
1 # cane sugar
1 oz Magnum--60 min
1 oz Amarillo--20 min
1 oz Amarillo--5 min
1 oz Amarillo--1 min
1 oz Cascade--1 min
1 oz Cascade--dry hop
WLP 001 yeast with starter

I pugged your ingredients into BeerSmith and the amount of corn sugar the BeerSmith says to use is 100.1 g for both of them.  So I do not think that the corn sugar is what is causing the over carbonation.  Have you been able to taste either one of the beers?  Do they smell OK?

Every batch of gushers I've had (and I've had a few) had a ring in the neck of the bottle. That's a sure sign of infection.

They both smell and taste fine.  No ring in the neck of the bottle that I can see.  What kind of contamination would likely cause this?

Let's go back to the basic post.  Other than the exploding bottle, which could have been a weakness in the bottle, why do you say that both batches are over carbonated?

Both will eventually foam out the top of the bottle after opening, may take a minute or so.  Also no mattter how carefully I pour the glass ends up full of foam.  Bottles are consistent so if it is contamination it must be occurring somewhere between the boil and bottling, which is a lot of steps.  Haven't had an issue with beers I've kegged or with the one batch I carbonated with DME. Could be something in the bottling process.  I'm stumped. 

off the top of my head I would say your dme was higher ppg then it should of been. I always use corn sugar so my input may not be accurate but if the fermentation was complete and there is no sing of infection I would come to the conclusion it must be the priming agent. 

Back