• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

A refrigerator full!!

Scott Ickes

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
My refrigerator is full...!!!

This is the reason that I'm going to look at a 7.2 cubic inch chest freezer tonight.  I'll be building my custom keezer soon.  I'll take photos of the build, as it progresses.  I'm hoping to get five kegs in it, but even if it only holds four, I'll be happy.

I'm finally tired of bottling!!

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 22
It's a beautiful sight Scott :)  I switched over to kegs a couple of months ago and will never go back. I do use a Blichmann Beer Gun to fill the occasional bottle, but no more cleaning cases of bottles or the entire bottling process.

-Dan

My 7 cubit foot chest freezer just died. Served me well for about seven years. It held five kegs. The corner with the compressor didn't have enough room, but one fit just fine next to it.

Set the CO2 and regulator outside of it if you can. That compressor looks like a convenient place to put it, but if you do condensation could damage it. Or at least that's what happened to mine. I'm thinking all that rust on the inside of the chest may have shortened its life. Next time I'll use some DampRid or something.

I just got home with the chest freezer.  It's 7.2 cubic feet.  It's only a year old.  I got it on from craiglist for $100.  It looks like new! 

Scott Ickes said:
I just got home with the chest freezer.  It's 7.2 cubic feet.  It's only a year old.  I got it on from craiglist for $100.  It looks like new!

Score! ;D

Let me know if you need a small keg. Got one just below my chest and right above my waist.
  Ok in all seriousness, that full fridge is a beautiful thing 

I'm looking for one on CL as we speak... it's going to be a tough sell with the wife after I just set up the kegging system at Xmas then went to All Grain a couple months ago.  I'll be making that "this is the last big purchase" promise for the rest of my life I think  :p

Scott, You can send some of that to me,  I won't tell anyone that you did. ;)

I have access to some taller 5 gallon kegs.  They are 8.5" in diameter, as compared to the standard 9" diameter ones.  I've cut out circles and put them in my chest freezer.  If I were to use the smaller diameter kegs, I can "almost get four kegs in the bottom and one of the fatter ones on the hump.  But, I can't quite get it.  I'm only a half inch short of having 5 kegs on tap.  I'm really bummed about it.

They do make a little 1.3 gallon keg that is only 6-3/4".  I guess I could have 5 taps, with one for small batches.  Maybe I can plan my brewing to make a batch that is 6.3 gallons from time to time, to keep that little one full.

I've got a three-tap kegerator with a draft tower that I do most of my consumption from, but I've also got a small freezer with a temp controller for aging and the occasional sampling via picnic tap. I can fit three 5 gallon ball lock kegs (taller, smaller diameter) and two 3 gallon pin lock kegs that I converted to ball locks. They're a little larger diameter than the OEM ball locks, but they're squatty. I can fit all of those and my 5# CO2 tank in the keezer without any modifications. It's cramped, but it works. I do lots of 3 gallon batches, so these are a great option, or you could split a 5/6 gallon batch between two of them and do something different to one or the other.

Here are the kegs: 3 Gallon Cornelius Style Pin Lock Keg (Used) or 3 Gal Loose Handle/Bottom Pin Lock Keg (Used) (if you're not concerned about appearances).

uc

Only showing four in the photo, but I have the CO2 in the closest corner (on the compressor hump) and the other 3 gallon just catches the hump and rests against the 5 gallon kegs in the well.

cmbrougham said:
I've got a three-tap kegerator with a draft tower that I do most of my consumption from, but I've also got a small freezer with a temp controller for aging and the occasional sampling via picnic tap. I can fit three 5 gallon ball lock kegs (taller, smaller diameter) and two 3 gallon pin lock kegs that I converted to ball locks. They're a little larger diameter than the OEM ball locks, but they're squatty. I can fit all of those and my 5# CO2 tank in the keezer without any modifications. It's cramped, but it works. I do lots of 3 gallon batches, so these are a great option, or you could split a 5/6 gallon batch between two of them and do something different to one or the other.

Here are the kegs: 3 Gallon Cornelius Style Pin Lock Keg (Used) or 3 Gal Loose Handle/Bottom Pin Lock Keg (Used) (if you're not concerned about appearances).

uc

Only showing four in the photo, but I have the CO2 in the closest corner (on the compressor hump) and the other 3 gallon just catches the hump and rests against the 5 gallon kegs in the well.

Wow.  I didn't think in three dimensions!  I was worried that with only the edge of the fifth keg on the hump, that it wouldn't work.  You've made me realize, that since it's against another keg, it doesn't matter that only the edge is on the hump. 

I can get five in!  You made my day Sir!!!!

Back