• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Estimated FG Question

texasdan

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Just recently, for the last two brewing sessions, and the current one I plan for tomorrow, Beersmith has been coming up with a yellow flag on the fermentation screen for Estimated Final Gravity.  I don't see anything I can pinpoint that I might have changed in my setup to cause a caution. 
Hopefully someone can look at my current brew sheet, attached, and tell me what might be causing this. 

Attachments

• Munchener Helles.bsmx
    21.7 KB · Views: 231
When I hover over the dot, it simply says "This is at the edge of the recommended style range." Just a flag that you might want to use a more attenuative yeast.

However, I simply went to the starter tab, opened the yeast info and changed the Maximum Attenuation to 85%. Not only did it eliminate the warning, but the prediction matches your result.

Thanks Brewfun.
I did that and got rid of the warning flag,
but still curious as to why it just started on the last three brews, and with different yeasts (it happened the last of 5 brews using harvested WLP820 yeast and the 1st and 2nd brews using new and harvested WLP833 yeast.)

It has not happened before and I figure I don't want to have to do a dummy override to get rid of a flag from now on.

texasdan said:
but still curious as to why it just started on the last three brews, and with different yeasts (it happened the last of 5 brews using harvested WLP820 yeast and the 1st and 2nd brews using new and harvested WLP833 yeast.)

It has not happened before and I figure I don't want to have to do a dummy override to get rid of a flag from now on.

The attenuation numbers are from the yeast manufacturer. There's nothing more to that number.

Changing your mash temperature will change the final gravity. Your recipe has one mash step that is at the very bottom of BeerSmith's calculation, but the next is at the upper end of Amylase. This pushes BeerSmith to assume more unfermentable sugars are being produced, therefore a higher final gravity.

I don't see how it's a "dummy fix" to change attenuation to match actual results. I get higher attenuation than the manufacturer says when I repitch. Seems like it's reflecting reality, if the rest of your procedures are accurate.

Thanks Brewfun.
No offense intended.  I was only trying to get a possible answer of what could be causing this.  I didn't want to do an override on every batch I do from now on when there was something else I could do.  Your latest post gives me something I could look in to.
I forget that I came up in a generation of IT with paper tape/punch cards, wired computer boards, and 4000 bytes of usable memory for programming with 81 additional bytes if you wanted to get real fancy.  Dummy override to me meant "An imitation of a real or original object, intended to be used as a practical substitute", one of a number of meanings in the American Heritage Dictionary.

Sorry for the confusion. 

texasdan said:
No offense intended. <snip>  Dummy override to me meant "An imitation of a real or original object, intended to be used as a practical substitute", one of a number of meanings in the American Heritage Dictionary.

Sorry if I sound terse. I'm really just getting straight to the point. I'm prone to going out on explanation excursions in real life. And I smile, to... sometimes...  :D

I also was thinking of the practical substitute definition, too. But, if it's actually reality, then.... you get the idea! Heh!

I'm not too far behind punch cards. Cassette tape was the storage medium of choice in my formative years.

It has been stated several times on this and other forums; Beersmith is a tool to help you make better beer. While not perfectly suited for every situation, it does make brewing easier and it can be modified to suit your situation. Sometimes the answer isn't found in something you're doing, rather it is something the software is telling you that needs to be adjusted.

That said; to some folks, making minor tweaks in the software may seem like a workaround to fix issues inherent in the software, but I see it as tailoring the software to my system and to what I actually see during my brewday which so far has had no negative effects. It's actually kind of fun manipulating the software to make it do what you want it to do.

Back