• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recipe for Caffrey's Irish Ale

Tankfish

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone have a recipe for, or as close as possible, for Caffrey's Irish Ale?

Thanks,
Justin

Type "Caffrey's Irish Ale" into the cloud search in BeerSmith.  You will find: Lee Caffrey's  Clone and Lee Caffrey's  Clone v2.

Thanks for the info. I have added it to Beer Smith 2 but I am getting an error. See attached. Any ideas?

It says,

Error - boil time for ingredient longer than recipe boil time
0 min - Start of Boil
Error - boil time for ingredient longer than recipe boil time

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 565
You have it set for a one hour boil, but you have your boil hops set to go in with 90 minutes left in the boil.  You need to change one or the other, so that they match.

Thanks Scott, but can you tell me where I change those settings? Looked in edit recipe but couldn see anything.

Design page.  At the top middle-ish is your boil time.  You can just highlight it and change it to 90 minutes.  To change your hop times from 90 minutes to 60 minutes, you double click on each hop in the recipe on the design page.  It will bring up a window where you can change it.

The thing is, it's going to be a really sweet tasting beer.  Too sweet, I would think.  Those changes will affect the bitterness level slightly, but not enough to balance the sweet to bitter of the recipe.  It's way strong for an Irish Red Ale.

It is a very simple recipe though, however, I'm not sure it will be the most enjoyable drinking beer.  I'm thinking it will be very sweet and very boozy.

Ok, I think I see the problem. I am using the iPad version. I am also a bit worried with this recipe because I don't have a nitrogen setup and it seems quite important.

Back