• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

higher bitterness than beersmith calc

bizzyb

New Forum Member
Reaction score
So I've done a few biab brews now and for some reason the brew always comes off more bitter than the beersmith calcs. For example, if my expected IBU is 30, I seem to be achieving high 30's, early 40's.

This hasn't been scientifically tested, however both my non brew friends and my local brew shop have tasted and find it more bitter than expected.

Anyone else experienced this?  Any thoughts on what I may be overlooking? 

I am using the beersmith 2 mobile app.

There isn't much to go by in your post. Things like volume and vigor of the boil can have huge effects on bitterness. There are a lot of factors that can change bitterness perception, too.

The first place to look is at your equipment profile. Your hop utilization may be higher than what you have, there. Start by increasing this number until the IBUs look like what you're perceiving.

Bitterness formulas in BeerSmith are the commonly understood and used methods of Rager and Tinseth.  Of the two, Rager tends to calculate more bitterness.

Changing this is easy. Options > Bitterness > Bitterness Formula.

Thanks for the reply.  Is there a way to adjust hop utilization in beersmith 2 mobile app?

I read somewhere that a combo of high sodium and sulfate in brewing water will result in a harsh bitterness to your brew.  Maybe that is the cause?

I've done a few BIAB brews as well and have the same problem. I was wondering if I might be squeezing the bag too much and getting some tannins? I don't really know what the go is but I am certainly getting very bitter beers. If it is related to hops then the reply here about adjusting the calculation to suit is advice I am likely to follow.

Back